Tahplu Twitter @tahplu

@tahplu

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

"You Can Take My Clearance Too!"

During the summer of 2018, the Trump administration began to threaten to take away the security clearances of retired officials who dared to disagree with Trump.  Admiral McRaven spoke out against the threats made against former CIA Director John Brennan.  When I heard that Lieutenant General James Clapper was also the target of this kind of attack, I felt compelled to say something.  So wrote up a letter and gave it as much circulation as I could.   As a courtesy I shared it with my bosses at the National War College. 

----------------------------------
From: William R Meara
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2018 12:22 PM
To:
Subject: Please forward to General Clapper
I just saw General Clapper on CNN and I wanted to get word to him that many former colleagues do support him.   Here is a letter that I wrote and circulated last  week. 

In his letter regarding the revocation of John Brennan’s security clearance, Admiral McRaven mentioned McCarthy-era tactics intended to suppress the voices of criticism. He is of course correct, but when I heard the White House spokesman claim that this action was being taken because of John Brennan’s supposed “erratic and bizarre behavior” I was also reminded of the Soviet Union’s practice of declaring critics of the government to be insane before shipping them off to psychiatric wards.  
Having had the privilege of serving under the leadership of General James Clapper, I find it especially appalling that he too is now the target of the kind of vilification tactics mentioned by Admiral McRaven.  Both General Clapper and General Hayden have pointed out that the threat of revocation of security clearance is now being used as a tool of intimidation and as a way of suppressing dissent.  This is profoundly un-American and is a gross violation of the core principles spelled out in our Bill of Rights.  All Americans should strongly object to this blatant abuse of power, and to the disgraceful treatment that courageous and outstanding public servants like General Clapper are being subjected to.  
As an American citizen it is my right to speak my mind about the actions of the government.  Indeed as someone who for more than 40 years has lived under an oath to “support, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,” I feel a special obligation to join in the denunciations of government actions that are clearly moving our country away from the ideals that our founders sought to protect.  
If in retaliation for speaking out my security clearance is revoked, I join with Admiral McRaven in saying that I would consider it an honor.
William R. Meara


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bill, I'm sorry to have found ourselves estranged at opposite ends of the current highly polarized political spectrum, while I am sure that we would both find our common sentiments mutually defined by what used to be known as classical liberalism. There were some very important issues behind our former president's censure of Clapper and Hayden for what I have discovered to be quite valid national security concerns. May I kindly suggest to you that that there is far more to these issues than is ever breached by mainstream news sources. As far as the issues with NSA Director General Hayden I would suggest considering the waste fraud and abuse revealed by former NSA Technical Director of the World Geopolitical and Military Analysis Reporting Group, William Binney in his documentary movie A Good American, that is now available for free on YouTube.
    I thank you so very much for the many years of Solder Smoke podcast your work has always been a great source on inspiration to me.
    73 AC8XA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very clear that in an effort to suppress disagreement, Trump was trying to remove the security clearances of RETIRED military personnel. His attitude toward security matters is very clear from what he did with the classified documents that he stole from the White House (and then stored in the bathroom of his Florida estate). The only reason he was going after these military officers was because they had dared to disagree with his unconstitutional actions. Your claim that there was somehow a legitimate reason for these actions just shows that you stand with Trump and his treason. So, no, I don't think we have anything in common on these matters. We are indeed on "opposite ends of the polarized political spectrum" -- I support the Constitution and democracy, you apparently stand with Trump and the autocrats.

      Delete